Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 5 May 2012

Riding Royalty and Foal update

Sadly, my gorgeous Shadow is still lame, visited him after my ride today and boy was he sulking. A few cuddles and a few polos seemed to cheer him up though. Another of my favourite ponies is also lame, the lovely bay beauty, AKA Bella had a nasty accident with a wire this week and so is all bandaged and on rest. She got cuddles today too bless her. So pony choice was slightly limited today, understandably. I was given the options of the pretty mare I've ridden for the past two Saturdays, the tall, handsome Topaz or another new pony. Yes, another unfamiliar steed. I did ask for Topaz as I haven't ridden him since our rain episode and I figured I should get on him and have a positive ride sooner rather than later. But due to one thing and another, I ended up riding the new pony. This is a horse who lives with the pretty mare who is owned by one of the girls at our yard so not a school pony. He's 14.2 and very quick. I say royalty as his name is a very royal title. He's lovely but very light in the mouth so contact took a bit to adjust. He was also quite fidgety so I had to be very bossy with him. We followed another horse on this ride and I was amazed I didn't have a leader or walker even, just me and the new pony. His trots are very quick, like his walk is quick too but I really got into his stride so quickly. A bit of playing on his bit made him listen. My RI had told me he's very bouncy and although I didn't find this too much in walk and trot, canter was a different issue. I bounced out of my saddle. His gait is very bouncy in canter and so on the second try of canter, my RI ran with me and told me to hold my saddle instead of holding both reins with my hand. I said I felt I was taking a step back to which she reassured me and said I was just adjusting to a new horse's very bouncy canter. Most of the horses I choose to ride have very smooth gaits and so I find it easier to go with them but this horse, along with a few others, I really need to go with so much more. I know I'll get it as I never used to be able to go with horses like Shadow or Topaz but now I can. My RI, says no more Mr nice guy, bouncy horses are in my future to get me solely used to the bounce especially in canter. First ride on this lovely boy and she was on our second trot yelling, "which diagonal are you on," to which I responded the right and she yelled "correct". That pleased me a lot. He was a little hard work, and really testing me. I'd ask him to halt and then he'd fidget but not sure if that was because he knew I was a new rider and was testing me or something else. My RI told me to really move my legs off of his side during halt but even this didn't work sometimes. It was definitely a very interesting and productive ride. News on our foal, as promised. His name. Drum roll please? ________________ SAMSON! I think he's going to grow into such a handsome and regal and wise horse. That's what that name sums up to me. Anyway, providing no horrific weather tomorrow, I'll be back to tell you how that all goes. Off to a party at my house now so hope everyone has a fab Saturday with their horses. Thanks Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment