Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Sunday 6 May 2012

Spring is Back

What a beautifully sunny day it was here this morning. I even stripped off my coat to ride in a thin hooded sweat shirt. I opted to ride Topaz. I've not ridden him since our rain incident a few weeks ago and I knew I should get on him to ensure I wasn't feeling nervous or anything. Nerves were non existent as was Topaz's energy this morning. I tried going but he was not giving me much at all today. I felt really unbalanced in his trots as they were so ploddy. Cantering was almost non existent but got a small one eventually. I just felt I was putting so much in and getting nothing back. Maybe he wanted Sunday off work, who knows? By the end of this ride I felt depleted and was in pretty low spirits. When asked who I wanted to ride I said a faster horse. Shadow and Bella and Kenny are all lame so fingers crossed they get better soon so the choices were limited. I rode the pretty mare that I've only ridden twice before. She was full of beans but I had her in good control. My trots on her were amazing today. The girl walking with me as we were in lead file said I look good in trot on her which was a lovely compliment. She is very light on the leg so a little squeeze and off we went into canter. Unlike on Topaz today where I felt I was flying around in the saddle, on this pretty girl, I was mostly in my seat and the crazy part is she's much bouncier than Topaz is. Go figure right? On my first canter, my RI said I was going with her in the beginning, then lost it in the middle and got it back again. So on the next canter she wanted me in my seat and going with her from the start to the finish. I posted a post on Lorraine's agony aunt's page yesterday as I'm struggling keeping my seat on bouncier ponies at the minute. I thought about what her advice was, making it feel like I had no legs. Amazingly, my weight just seemed to fall into my heels even though I was trying not to do anything with my legs, just sitting deeper into the saddle. I leaned consciously further back as Maddi had suggested and this all seemed to help. Wasn't even holding my saddle today as I felt a little more confident with her. Maybe the horse I rode yesterday, I might try the holding the saddle and pushing away rather than pulling towards me as Lorraine suggested but we'll see who I ride next week. My second canter was absolutely in sync and it felt a lot better. Only third time riding this pretty girl and so I was pleased with my progress. I love her trots, so quick and prancy. She was a good ride after the hard work I had to do with the gorgeous Topaz this morning. She's actually becoming really comfortable for me to ride. Who knew, a Welsh section D would make it onto my maybe the breed of pony I might want to look into getting. Back at the yard, I untacked and gave Topaz and Magic their polos. Then I went to visit the stable bound ponies. Bella seemed a bit down today whereas Shadow was all over me. He finished off the polos and got lots of nice cuddles and kisses from him. All under a lovely sunny sky this morning. Thanks for reading guys, Marie

1 comment:

  1. All these horses! Can't believe you're cantering on so many different 'varieties' now. Shame they're all broken toys at the moment. Still I'm sure they'll be back soon and it gives you a chance to work with others.
    Enjoy this weather while it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete