Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 28 April 2012

A Blustery Ride

The wind seemed to come from absolutely no where this morning. I woke up and the winds had descended. Dad gave me a ride to the yard and I arrived to learn that my lovely Shadow was lame so I couldn't ride him today. I asked if he was in his stable, he was so I went and gave him many cuddles. He seemed a little down in the dumps bless him. I'd chosen to ride the pretty mare I'd rode last Saturday. I mounted her and had her owner with me again today. We took the farm hack this week and I wasn't sure how I'd handle the ride as I was in hospital for a wisdom tooth being removed on Monday so have had anaesthetic and lots of pain relief. I was pleasantly surprised though and managed to sit in the saddle with little issue. I felt very comfortable and in sync with this quick, prancing pony. We were in lead today as she's quite a fast horse and was full of beans. I asked for a trot and got more than I bargained for. Canter! On the path, nooooo! Slowed her to a trot and then halt. Everyone was concerned but I was just like, is she OK? She was fine, standing there like it was the most normal thing in the world, didn't even ask that much for a trot either but Missy thought it was fun to canter on and stood there like butter wouldn't melt. We went onto the field and got another good canter, this time I asked for it. I need to go with her a lot more as her gait is so short and fast but I've only ridden her twice and need to relax into her gait a lot more. We did another trot and this was much more in control and my rhythm was spot on on this trot. Down the cobbles and had a chat with her owner. She asked if her horse was the fastest I'd ridden, I said she probably was and she asked if I liked fast or slow horses, I said I liked fast horses as crazy as that must sound not being able to see. She laughed and said yes but if that's what I liked. It was nice to chat about which horses I liked to ride and why, it gave me a clearer idea of what I like in a horse and what I would be looking for when I eventually loan or buy my own horse. I concluded I like fast horses but don't mind horses with long yet slower gaits. I don't particularly enjoy slow, ploddy horses, as I feel I'm forever getting them to go. This may sound crazy to you guys but I can't help what I like. I also said I like horses that are lighter on the leg aids and light in the mouth. But not too light. Fussy? Maybe. After the cobbles which this particular horse handles nicely as she walks so prancy, you hardly know you're on the cobbles as some of our riding school horses drag their hooves and you have to push on harder with your legs to stop them tripping by keeping them in a forward walk. A last trot which was beautiful! I was totally in her rhythm and I really enjoy her trot now I have mastered the rhythm of it. On the back lane and got her into a canter. My RI asked to lean back and go with her a bit more, I did this and we had about 3 or 4 strides and then she trotted and I lost a stirrup. Her owner thinks the caravan that is parked along the back lane is not to her taste and spooks her a little. Apparently,she doesn't like the back lane oh so much so I didn't really mind that we hadn't got a good canter. I did feel a little unseated after losing that stirrup but didn't fall. The wind made it tough today hearing much so I was glad of someone with me not just because I'm riding an unfamiliar pony but to assist me a little too. We arrived back to the yard and I helped to untack her and gave her a polo. She is such a sweet horse. I really enjoy riding her. Thanks for reading and until tomorrow, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment