Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 20 August 2011

My Equine dreams

Two years ago, if you had asked me, I would have said it was impossible for me to create a career with animals in any way. Not because I couldn't think I was capable but because of others attitudes. Although I know those attitudes are still prevalent in society, I am trying to ignore them.
I will not profess to being an amazing rider or the best person at anything I do but with the continuous fights I've had and continue to have getting a job in the "commercial" world and the prejudices I face there just to get an office job, I'm not sure I'll ever win that fight so why not try to fight for something I'm at least passionate about.
If you had told me a year ago, while I was battling to master the rising trot, still clinging to my saddle, I'm pretty sure I would have laughed in your face if you'd said I'd be cantering and progressing the way I am. All I do, is listen to my instructors, read up on horses through blogs and books and most importantly, listen to the horse I'm riding.
My dreams and ambitions have changed over the last few years. A year or so ago I wanted to get into canine and equine massage and that is something I would still love to do. I know teaching riding is not really in my future but running my own school, caring for horses definitely could be.
I'm also very interested in competing. Now, how good or bad a rider I am, I'm not sure how or when that will happen but it's something I would like to give a try too. Hopefully, once my bum stays in my saddle and my cantering is much better, there will be more opportunity to do other things.
I'm not pretending I'm the best or I'm even half decent, only others could tell you how good or bad I am, but I feel like I'm progressing so that's something, right?
My grandmother always encouraged dreams, she said without dreams you have nothing to aim for. So here are mine:
  • 1. I will start all of my dreaming by loaning a horse. I am in no position to buy right now and figure a part loan will ease me into the responsibility I will need to own my own one day. Mum is very supportive of this idea and we are currently on the hunt for a good loan horse. So fingers crossed that we can find one at a reasonable rate.
  • 2. If permitted, I'd like to train further on this said loan horse and maybe next season try and show and enter a few local competitions. Showing seems my aim but I do want to jump and maybe do dressage too. How this will happen, we'll see as I'm not so sure the mainstream arenas are exactly going to fly for this idea.
  • 3. I briefly mentioned this, but proceeding to dressage and show jumping is something I'm definitely interested in. If I can figure out which I'm better in will also be a huge bonus.
  • 4. Becoming a better horse person. Whether this is by doing an equine management course or just gaining the experience. I also think a trip to a career's advisor may be in my future as I need a clear path on the career I'd like.
  • 5. starting on the road to qualification to become an equine therapist. I know some people think this is beyond someone with sight impairments but I'm determined to make something of my life. I have so much to give and feel like I'm trapped right now, horses and being with my Bailey dog make me feel free and alive. Horses can be dangerous, but hey, I got run over by a number 59 bus 10 years ago too. Just because I can't see, doesn't mean I'm any less equipped to read an animal. People forget I have other senses.
  • 6. Once working, or having won the lottery, [which I never do], buying some land, preferably with stables, an arena and opening my own riding school, for anyone! No matter what! Horses have proven time and time again, that their company is therapeutic and I've seen this for myself and experienced it. Dramatic as it sounds, horses have saved my life. I haven't felt as alive as I have in the past few years.

So, those are my dreams when it comes to the equine world. Far fetched? Maybe! But dreams and putting them into reality are all I have. What do I have to lose? But more importantly, what more do I have to gain?
Thanks again,
Marie

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm so excited you've focused on horses as a career path. Horses do have a habit of becoming an obsession don't they?!

    I've just tweeted you a a link to an old photo of mine from days gone by. It's a bunch of students. One is 100% blind. She passed her stage 2. Sadly lost touch but she'll be out there somewhere.This is the link (below) don't know if it will work from here. It's for anyone out there who thinks you're crazy! Although I don't think they'd be here if they did. :)

    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=170096449707323&set=a.149907361726232.49130.100001209083046&type=1&theater

    I have every faith in you, Marie. Live the dream!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your support as always, Lorraine. It means a lot. To know others are out there doing this only drives me on. :)
    Marie

    ReplyDelete