Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Thursday 25 August 2011

Hacking in the Sunshine

It was a beautifully sunny day today as I walked up to the stables. Due to the national GCSE results and illnesses and what not, there was a shortage of people to go out on rides today. So when I arrived, the lady who runs the riding school asked me if I would brush a pony while I waited. I was more than happy to do this so gave one of the smaller ponies a good old brush. I was then asked if I would, with the guidance of someone else, put some of the horses out into the field. I was more than happy to do this. So, I linked one of the younger girls and led one big horse, the beautiful bay I ride sometimes and two smaller ponies, the one I brushed earlier today and another I brushed during my week of stress getting lost. It was fab. I felt I was doing something around the yard. Once we'd done that, I mounted my tall, white friend and we were following a new and different horse today. We're still testing the filing hacks out but so far so good. Today had a few problems but it was more to do with the lead horse. She is new to our yard so she is not used to the area yet and was being a little spooky walking past things on the farm hack. But during the times we got her to lead, I followed well. My canter was awesome but the girl walking at the side of me, who led me during canter couldn't keep up. That was quite funny. A really awesome thing happened today. He started in a trot and I gave him another squeeze with a definite increased level of confidence and off we went into a canter. I was pretty sure if I needed to get him back into one if he changed to a trot I could. But as it happened, the leader asked me to stop instead which I did successfully. As she put it, I "fly in canter". I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but I was just pleased I could get him into a good canter even from a trot. It was a beautifully sunny day and I'm noticing more now I am having to move the horse independently, my legs and arms seem to be doing the motions with more naturalness and ease. I definitely enjoyed the hack today. And once we got back to the stables, and I untacked, gave my friend a few polos, I was watching the farrier at work. Its good to learn all about a horse's needs and care needs especially during your time learning to ride or else what is the point? If you can't understand the animal you're working with and all the things that might cause him discomfort, then there is no point to you even learning to ride in my humblest of opinions. It's making me want to loan a horse, or even own one so much more. I know it will happen but time will only tell. Until next time, Thanks again for reading, Marie

1 comment:

  1. There's no better place to be on a sunny day than on the back of a horse. Glad you made the most of the weather.

    Great read as always. Keep flying!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete