Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

In tune, in Control

The horse I was riding today had just come in from the field and instead of being the pretty white horse he is, he was more like a muddy grey. So our task was to brush him, as you do before any tacking up anyway. I could not believe how filthy he was and apparently this handsome fellow loves to roll in the mud. After brushing him, I can definitely tell this. We continued with the following of another horse again today. I do enjoy doing this and for part of it, the girl walking at the side of me had to run back to the stables so I was truly on my own. I was able to hear when the horse stopped and started with ease and keep my horse behind it. The only issue I had with this today, which I need to fine tune, is keeping my horse from getting too close. I did this quite successfully when it was pointed out to me. And I think with a few more tries, I can judge the distance between the two horses relatively well. It feels now like I am in true control. My tall white friend is much more responsive to me now too. I can truly feel he's listening to me and taking my instructions well. Just the slightest squeeze on his side would speed him up, the transition to a trot was easy and even to a canter was fabulous. When he was getting too close to our lead horse, I used the half halts to slow him down which he did beautifully. It feels more and more like a team effort and that he's feeding me information and I in turn receive it and give him instruction that he now understands. There was a pony in a field which we were walking alongside and the pony was running along the fence which my horse decided was a big and scary prospect so I just stroked his neck, half halted a little as he was speeding up and managed to keep him calm and let him know that the little cute pony was no threat to him. It's an amazing feeling now knowing he's looking to me for guidance and instruction and not the person walking beside me. I cannot wait to have this kind of relationship with my own horse one day but glad my tall white friend is here for now to help me explore the possibilities. Thanks for reading, And until next time, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment