Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 16 August 2011

The Best Feeling In The World

It was a pretty dreary day today but I didn't notice during my lesson. I was back with the instructor I usually have and she was making me gain control of my tall white friend today as we ascended the lane to the farm. He was trying to eat, and follow her so I had to gain control of him. I was instructed to half halt on the right rein and put my left leg on to get him concentrating and move away from the scrumptious grass. After a few minutes and a little fighting over who had control, I am pleased to say I won. We went on the field that I've been cantering on recently and I was sitting nicely in my seat, leaning back but I guess I was feeling a little nervous to begin with and the horse obviously picked up on that and just trotted. So, we turned long ways down the field and I was encouraged, as always to put my leg on and not pull back on the reins, stay in my seat, etc, and wow! That's the only word I can use to describe it. I even let out a "whoohoo," during that long, amazing, free canter! And the best thing about it, I got him cantering and kept him there for the longest time yet. I bet I tripled my longest canter to date this morning which really made me smile and we got to the other end of the field. With this instructor, she gives me a lot more control as she's worked with me the most so knows how much I have already achieved. For a lot of this ride, minus the cantering, I was just listening to her directional instructions and using my hands and legs to let the horse know what I wanted him to do. Even down a cobbled stretch, he tried to eat some poisonous plants so it was my job to keep his concentration and prevent him from munching as he's not allowed while working and to ensure he didn't eat anything that could harm him. On the back lane, where we always attempt a last canter, I again got a really good one, not as long but my instructor had said it wouldn't be as there was a nice plastic bag to spook the horse in the middle of the path. But, again, a good canter and hands are staying where they need to be, as are feet, now to work on the bum staying in seat. I am not one to praise myself but I am quite shocked in how quickly my hands have seemed to adjust to the canter and keep in a still straight line and not pull back on the reins. Now just for the last part of the cantering puzzle to fall into place but now I'm getting him going and on the last canter seemed a little more in my seat, I know that's coming. A great compliment I received today was my rising trot is very tidy. I've been working hard on keeping myself upright and straight, heels down and rising and falling nicely. I love rising trot but cantering is definitely my favourite gait so far. It was a fabulous lesson and I keep asking more and more questions each time which is always a good thing. Lets hope Thursday is half as good as today's class. Thanks again for reading, Marie

1 comment:

  1. It's all falling into place for you isn't it? Great to hear. Canter will soon become an obsession as it is with most of us! You just can't beat it :)

    Looking forward to Thursday's read.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete