Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 9 August 2011

It's All about Your Confidence

Yes, it's Tuesday again. Hope you all had a good weekend. I did, but will tell you about that shortly. Today was a rather sunny day which made a nice change from Thursday. I rode the horse I had trouble getting to canter last Tuesday today. I went out with the same young lady as I did on Thursday and we did some trotting which went fine and then for the cantering. After reading some of my new book, the horse dancer, I decided to really concentrate on how the horse felt beneath me. I know this is always said to do but today I made a conscious effort to feel him moving beneath me. It was a nice feeling and made things feel more natural. Even in my hands, I could feel his mouth and the movement as we walked and trotted. When it was time to canter, I felt a little more confident in making him go and hey ho, there he goes. It wasn't a long canter but now I feel more confident about setting the horse off in a canter, my second horse who I have successfully got into a canter, I think now I can relax a little into the actual canter and keep it going rather than him switching to a trot. I got two canter starts today and although they were not as long as the canter I got out of my white horse friend on Thursday, it was still an achievement in itself. So the lesson was good and I shall be back at the stables on Thursday. But now for some horse news. Anyone who has ever caught the horse bug, knows that you will always want to buy or have a horse at your disposal. Once you fall in love with these amazing creatures, you are hooked, I'd say. So imagine my surprise when my mum told me on Saturday I should really look into loaning a horse to give me that more experience of caring and riding and training on one. I'm excited that both of my parents are fully behind this. They usually don't take much notice of what I do but even my dad seems to think it's a good idea so we'll see. So now for the hard part, to find a loan horse that won't cost an arm and a leg. I know having horses is not a cheap deal but talking to the owner of the stables today, she said there are some good loans to be had out there that won't cost you through the nose. It's finding the right horse and the right deal, I guess. So on the look out now. Wish me luck. This won't happen over night but it's OK, gotta get my riding ability up to scratch before I'm let lose on a new horse. :) Until Thursday, take care and happy riding.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you! How I wish I could whistle up the perfect horse for you! No doubt your instructors will be the best ones to look out for you anyway but if anything comes up over here in North Yorkshire I'll be sure to let you know.

    Getting your own horse will be a huge step and I know it will make all the difference to you. It's the same as the relationship you musty have with Bailey. The longer you have them the more you start to understand. You're going to have a ball!

    I'm glad your cantering is becoming more natural to you. Be patient because it will just slot into place one day and you'll forget what it was like to learn. You must be well balanced because you never mention how bumpy it feels when you first start out.

    Looking forward to Thursday's instalment. Hope the weather stays fine for it!

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you so much. I'm excited and won't rush into the decision making. I know finding the right horse with the right temperament is going to be the key thing for me. Also finding the right owner to loan the horse from is going to be essential. I appreciate your words :)

    It's weird with cantering, the first time it happened, I felt like it was the most amazing feeling in the world. and now my legs aren't flying out of the stirrips, it feels even better. Just working on the staying in canter part now and I know that requires more from me, staying in the seat and relaxing which slowly is happening. :)

    couldn't do all this without the great support from people like you and my mum though. Things I read on your blog are making so much sense to me every week and I just can't wait to school my own tall friend. I look forward to having another partnership like the one with Bailey and although it'll be different, the similarities are definitely there too.

    Thanks for reading as always :)

    ReplyDelete