Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Thursday 18 August 2011

group Hacking

Our stables were crazy today as some of the riders have the up and coming in house competition, known as the Jim Carna. A three day weekend where groups of riders demonstrate what they have learnt. I'm going to watch some of the girls who have been teaching me participate on Sunday. So fingers crossed for dry weather. As you can imagine, horses being bathed, bridles and saddles being cleaned, jumps being set up, it was mayhem. So instead of a lonely hack with my instructor, several of us went out on a group hack. This was my first group hack since before I could trot so it was kinda nice and I felt like I wasn't left behind and a nubbi, I knew what I was doing and was an established and knowledgable rider. It just made me think how far I have come and how much I still need to learn. There were three horses and three riders with some leaders. However, my instructor told the girl walking at the side of me that I only needed being led during canter. She, without knowing it, really boosted my confidence today by telling someone else I didn't need a leader and could do things. I knew she thought this but was nice to hear that my riding progress is continuing. So we did a lot of road work today which was good. I've been up on the farm hacking recently so some road work was nice and I got to practice my directional control with keeping the horse on the left of the road and using my arms for signals. I road a beautiful mare who I learnt to rise trot on and have struggled to get to canter in the past. It was good to feel how responsive she was to me. Everything I asked of her she did without an issue. My trotting was a little worse than it has been on previous rides but I soon got into it again. Every horse, as most of you know, has a different rhythm and it's been a while since I rode my bay friend so I expected a little rustiness. So cantering? I almost, I stress, almost got her to canter twice but sadly it didn't happen. The trouble was, I could feel her wanting to go and then just didn't quite get her to the canter. She's notorious to new riders for not trotting or cantering when we ask initially. Maybe she needs that little more of a "yes, I truly want you to canter" from the rider. So, I know I can get her to trot so canter is now next on my list to conquer with Miss bay Beauty. It was a fun and beautiful ride today. I enjoyed the group hack and I don't see the lack of a canter today as a backward step, just a challenge to get my bay beauty to canter for me soon. :) Until next time, thanks for reading Marie

1 comment:

  1. Funny how a single comment like that gives you such a lift. Sometimes better than too many compliments. Sounds like this mare has a a bit of a sense of humour! If she's responding better to you in trot it won't be long before you're flying along.
    Nice to hear you had such fun.

    Lorraine.

    ReplyDelete