Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 21 April 2012

New Horse

I arrived at the yard, in not a very pleasant mood. Been stressed out by the incompetence of our NHS but that aside, I was really looking forward to getting to the yard and seeing the horses! I got there and was given a choice of riding a familiar horse or riding an unfamiliar one. I opted to go for a new challenge. This particular horse belongs to one of the girls who helps out at our yard and she would be walking with me today whilst I rode her horse. I was obviously quite nervous of this fact but mounted the lovely mare and we lead the ride which seemed to be a very busy one this morning. The farm hack was our chosen route today and as soon as I asked her to walk on, the quick and prancy gait surprised me. She is a 15.3 HH of Welsh Section D and she has a really different gait to any horse I have ridden before. It feels like she really picks her hooves up and our RI said she's like a prancing pony. She really does feel that way. The first trot shocked me. She has a small gait and this took a while to get used to. By our last trot today I had her rhythm pretty accustomed. Onto the field and one of the other girls ran with me as this was the first time I'd ridden this horse and I got into a lovely canter. She has a bounce but a small stride so its quite unusual as its not like anything I've experienced so far but I really like her canter. Another canter which I didn't seem as in synch with her but it was OK. She was a very good girl and the second canter was longer. More trots and onto the back lane where they were lighting a fire and we just got a fast trot. I really enjoyed riding this horse and received a lovely compliment from her owner and regular rider, she commented on how she thinks I'm a good rider and that really makes me feel proud. I was riding her personal horse and she said she'd be happy for me to ride her again. How nice is that? I only did one ride today but it was a really amazing one. A great change and another kind of gait and horse to get used to. I'm loving it! :) Thanks for reading, Marie

1 comment:

  1. These section D's aren't the easiest to trot on so the fact that you got the hang of it so quickly really is something to be proud of. The fact this wasn't a school horse - and that you're welcome to ride her again is a huge compliment. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete