Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 7 January 2012

New Year, New Start

So despite my feelings last week, I ventured back to the yard today and had decided, I was going for an enjoyable, pressure free ride. I'm happy to say, I achieved that goal, and more!

I arrived, in the chilly morning air, and was asked who I wanted to ride. Again, no pressure, I just said, I don't mind and was asked if I wanted to ride my cheeky, bay tall friend, to which I agreed. I brushed him and we went out on a big ride over the farm today.

I felt better in the saddle we used today and my walk and trot was pretty good. I was impressed with how smooth my walk and trot was. My heels were taking all of my weight, my shoulders were back and I really enjoyed the ride.

We went on the field but none of the horses cantered. I didn't expect a canter on the field before we even go on the field so when I didn't, I felt neither disappointment or pressure.

We headed down the cobbles and despite the problems I had, keeping having to put my legs on with my tall, cheeky, bay friend last week, he walked happily down the cobbles with ease. My second trot was as smooth and rhythmic as the first. I had to rise quicker to get him going faster and it worked like a treat.

And so, the back lane and our last attempt for the canter. I had said, I wouldn't canter today but I figured, lets go for it, if it doesn't work out, then oh, well, it wasn't meant to be. New attitude for the new year, and all that! So, I squeezed,… fast trot…. More seat and leg….CANTER!!!! A pretty lengthy one. And for about four strides, I was in my seat and going with it, then, was out of my seat, but still balanced and just going with it until we went into a trot. Crazy thing? I felt more confident today! So tomorrow, as i'm going up for my second ride, I'm going to have the same attitude, enjoy the ride, do what I can and whatever happens, I'll do my best and just get out of it, enjoyment and pleasure.

We got back to the yard, lots of pats and praise for my lovely horsey friend and dismounted, [without falling on my bum], and put up his stirrups, led him into his stable, took off his bridle, loosened his girth, and gave him a huge hug. It was strange today, when yelled at to put my hands forward, I did, with confidence. And my orientation to the yard was improved as I took back the bridle to the tack room without assistance, small feat but yeah, I did it.

So tomorrow will be enjoyable, ad I will just enjoy what I can do. And if I canter tomorrow, fantastic, if I don't, o well, there's always another ride. My confidence is growing about being in my seat and I really feel like I will be able to push more tomorrow. I was almost there today to stay in a lovely canter, I will do it and all the support I got on my very down day last weekend made me realise something, I'm not alone in this journey any more. I have a lot of people on my side, and many horses too. So lets hope 2012 brings all the best for us all and the horses we come into contact with. Whatever happens, happens. Lets jump on the horse and ride through it all, good or bad.

Thanks for reading,

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment