Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Sunday 29 January 2012

A relaxed and Productive ride

The yard was quiet again when I arrived this morning. Seems the cold has kept a few riders away. Not me though. ;) I was there early as I always like to get there early to help out a little if I can. I ended up brushing an old friend of mine. He'd been brushed down already but had been out so had some mud on the legs and tummy so I gave him a quick once over and worked on his legs and tummy. Once I'd done, I was asked who I wanted to ride. I took the opportunity to ride my tall, cheeky bay friend. So we all got ready and I mounted him and we went off on the road route today. My rein contact was nice and he was listening quite a bit to me. The last time I rode him, we had established he now thought I should be boss and was doing everything to make me assert my position. Today, I took that up instantly and we worked well together. My trotting with him was pretty good and forward today. I really feel the pushing up through my thighs is just working better and better every time I ride. For a lot of this ride, my walker was not running alongside me during trot and I handled it well. I just kept listening for the horses and people in front to know when to stop. There was a lovely boggy area which he tried to fight to go on. I managed to get him on it but he wanted to go with his friends. We didn't get a canter, wether because he didn't want to because his friends were leaving him, or because I wasn't bossy enough or because it was far too muddy for him. But I wasn't bothered by this. A moment later, we found another piece of grass and we cantered. I was in my seat, [not as much as I would have liked but I was]. I kept my heels down, elbows in and stayed in position. I'm hardly having to think about this now which is crazy. Two months ago, even a month ago I was constantly telling myself to do these things. Rarely do I now have to lecture myself on what needs to be done. I just needed to go with him more. A few more trots and then for the final canter of the ride. And it was pretty good. My squeezes and seat are getting better. My instructor commented on this saying I don't realise how much I've progressed and now I look better in the saddle, the movement is getting better. She also said, don't be afraid to give a kick if they refuse. I told her, I know why my squeezes have been held back like they have. The lack of confidence in my balance in canter has prevented me from giving it all in case I go off balance but now that's improving, I'm feeling better about giving the harder squeezes and soon, if I have to be bossy, I'll kick on and get going. :) I dismounted and was asked to untack him and put on the stable rug. I did and gave him a huge hug. I do miss the horses during the week. Roll on spring for so many reasons! Thanks for reading again, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment