Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 14 January 2012

Big Freeze!

It seems to have rained constantly for the past few weeks and the temperature dived last night so there was ice on the lane up to the yard today. I arrived, after a few skates backward, and was told I would be probably riding my tall, cheeky, bay friend. I was happy about this as last weekend had been successful. So up I got on him and we all headed up to the farm. Today was a pretty good step forward. I was walking and trotting completely alone on him. In my previous rides with him, as our friendship is still very new, I've had someone walking along side me but today the girl who would lead me in canter would check on other riders. I just listened for the horse in front to follow where we were going and only had to be told about my distance once. Even when he stumbled a little, I kept in my rising trot. It was much more forward than it's been on previous occasions. I feel like I'm not holding back and giving good squeezes now. We all went onto the boggy field and I wasn't expecting him to canter. So all relaxed, the girl running with me in canter came over and I gave a big squeeze, and off we went in a very bouncy canter. Then trot which I sat in nicely and squeeze again and off we went in another canter. I didn't feel I was in my seat as he was very bouncy due to the bogginess of the field and my instructor said that I was in my seat but he was bouncier as he was pulling his feet out of the mud a bit and the part he trotted, she expected him to because of the conditions of the field. She also commented on how relaxed I look and how good my position is and my squeezes are better and said that the no pressure thing is really working. I was pleased about this as I feel it's helping in all areas and the trotting was much more forward today and the canters were good, just on the bouncy side. But despite that, I didn't even grab for my saddle which I have had a tendency to do in the past which is an improvement. Didn't even need to be told hands forward today and more importantly, didn't pull back on my reins. On one of the paths on the way back, we'd all pulled into the left side of the road and he'd got his feet stuck in some mud so he fidgeted a bit but he got calmer as we moved him off the mud and I stroked his neck to reassure him. So it was a lovely successful ride again today. Really enjoyed it and felt like I made a lot of progress with my tall, cheeky, bay friend. Getting to know a horse is always a lovely journey. I've enjoyed getting to know a lot of the horses at this yard and now I'm taking the pressure off of myself, I'm improving without even trying. Practice, practice and practice, right? Thanks for reading and fingers crossed the ground isn't as slippy tomorrow. Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment