Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 7 July 2012

Sunshine With Shadow

Despite the heavy rain predicted for today, we ended up having a gloriously sunny day, dare I even say almost summer like. It did mean I was sweltering in a waterproof coat. But anyway. I arrived and was asked to brush Shadow which of course I didn't mind in the least. I was brushing him on the fence as the girl looking after him had moved him there while she mucked him out. I discovered he is much easier to brush his face when he's haltered to the fence so actually got some mud off of his face for once which was good. Halfway through, we moved him back to his stable and finished off brushing and tacked him up and we were running late so I jumped on from the ground. I need to practice this much more as I still need a push from someone getting on a 15.3 HH horse. Once mounted, I followed another horse and was walking by myself again today in the glorious sunshine. My trots were fabulous and he was totally listening to me. Our contact was good and I felt so relaxed. We were on a ride with a lot of less experienced riders so I got to canter once on this ride. I was on my own, with one of the other girls running to the end to yell stop when I got there. I gave a squeeze and we got a few strides, then trot, then I squeezed again, another stride and another squeeze, another stride. But I was kind of pleased with this anyway, as he was going when I asked, just not staying and my sitting trot was pretty awesome. My RI was really pleased with me actually. She said I looked good and relaxed. I was reading a piece on Horse and country about heels down in canter and it seems I'm not the only one to have any of these issues. The strike off in the canter seems to be my biggest problem, or it has been. It possibly still is but I've not seen it for a few weeks. I'm just totally relaxed for some reason. More trotting and his energy was great. He did try to have a few snacks today which made me giggle. Nice try Shadow. Once back at the yard, I untacked him and gave him a few cuddles. Then was chatting to another girl and she had to jump off and take the saddle off of her horse and put it on a different horse so I offered to hold him and there was no hesitation or call for someone else, I stood stroking this lovely horse while holding him still. She'll not know what that meant to me. I was watching a jumping lesson before I left. My rI and I were chatting about para show jumping during my ride today and she had some really good and quite accurate ideas about how it could be done. I talked about the show jumper, Peter Charles recently leading a jumper who was blind around a show jumping course in France. He's done this before too, with Britain's first blind show jumper, who is also from my neck of the woods. :) It was good to hear her talk so positively about it. Just hope one day I can try my hand at jumping too. Anyway, that's today's ride and hoping tomorrow is another lovely, relaxed and enjoyable one. :) Thanks, Marie http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1422548_leap-of-faith-blind-showjumper-represents-great-aunt http://www.horseandcountry.tv/ask-the-expert/help-how-do-i-keep-my-heels-down-canter

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how things go - a few months ago you were tearing you hair out about cantering now you're looking at the finer points! It's great that you're so relaxed about it now. Keeping him going will come easier now you're not getting so uptight about the transition.
    As for the jumping - it's not if but when :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine. Who would have thought at the end of the year, I would be where I am now. OK, probably everyone but me. Yes. cantering is just another stride now. Lets just keep moving forward and see where this horsey journey goes next? :) thanks for the support Lorraine. :)

    ReplyDelete