Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Sunday 1 July 2012

Compliments and carrots

Today was drizzly but that did not dampen my spirits as I headed to the yard. I chose to ride Kenny, the lovely coloured gelding that I don't ride that often. He stood nice and quiet as I put his bridle on and once I mounted him we waited for a while for everyone to get ready. I've always been slightly put off by this horse as he has a considerable bounce but since riding the pretty Welsh section D, my love for bouncier horses has increased. This particular horse is my RI's personal favourite. So if you do something wrong on him, you feel mighty bad on her watch. Well, I do anyway. We did the farm route today with my usual RI and we were following Shadow so had to keep half halting young Kenny as he was quite eager today. Our trots were forward and continuous which has been an issue between him and I in the past. I've struggled to get him into trot and keep him there but he was brilliant today. We turned onto the field, I didn't have anyone walking or leading me today, and we asked for a canter. First time, we didn't get one, second time we got a lovely one and my RI said she was very pleased with it. We turned around at the bottom of the field and cantered back up. He was so awesome and my heels were apparently down the whole time, I was totally going with him, and wait for it, I looked good on him! I was super pleased to get that particular compliment. My RI has never been one to say things for the sake of it and has always been good about giving me good, constructive feedback so for her to say those things made my day. More trotting, down the cobbled path and another trot and another canter on the back lane. On this last canter, felt the heels sneaking up, pushed them down and got back into rhythm. So happy about this as this horse has been, for me, harder to canter on because of his bounce but I'm excited on what is to come. He was pretty responsive today which was nice and not looking to anyone else for guidance, just me. :) as we were walking back to the yard, my RI said she was pleased with all of my canters, they were collected and very neat and I was really going with him now. I'd done a good job. So I was pleased. I dismounted and started handing out carrots after I'd put him back in his stable and loosened his girth and tied up his reins as he was going out on another ride soon. Kenny, Bella, Shadow and even my good friend Topaz all got to snack on some carrots. Shadow seemed to be a bit moody with me, maybe he's mad I haven't ridden him this weekend but I walked up to Topaz's stable and called his name and to the door he came. It was so nice! I love seeing their personalities come out when you're on the ground with them. So until next time, Thanks for reading, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment