Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

wintry Ride

We are really starting to feel the bite of winter these past few days. This morning, wrapped in layers of cold and wearing my waterproofs, I headed for the yard. I'm surprised I got there as when I awoke, the rain was pelting down outside my window. There was that temptation to just go back to sleep.

Once at the yard, I helped tack up my tall white friend, and mounted him on a very slippy mounting block. We've had a combination of hail and snow over the past few nights so there was no surprise there was a slippy edge to our mounting block.

Once up in the saddle, I took up my reins and off we went on a soggy ride on the road route. As we were just about to set off, the snow flurries started so we had a very cold, white ride today.

Recently, my position on the horse is vastly improving. I would never say it was horrible but I'm feeling now I'm upright, my body is more fluid with the horse's movement. I also feel now more weight is being pushed into my heels that I am further in my seat. That really felt good today during walk.

As anyone who has read my blogs the past few weeks, getting my leg on effectively has not been so successful. Even though I didn't manage a canter today, my legs were giving more than they have on previous weeks. And quite honestly, in the wintry conditions this morning, I am not surprised we didn't get to a canter.

With the leg on being more effective, it meant my forward trotting was coming together nicely. I truly enjoyed my ride this morning and felt a few improvements had been experienced. Think we're switching up horses on Sunday's lesson this week as with all the yard chores increasing with the wintry weather, we're moving my lessons to the weekend until the weather improves and yard jobs are lessened again. I'm not sure if I'll do a ride on Saturday and Sunday in the future, or if I'll do two rides on one day. We'll see.

We headed back to the yard and I untacked him, put on his rugs and gave him a big hug before I left. It is always nice to have a lovely ride on such a handsome friend.

So until next time,

Thanks for Reading,

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment