Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 27 December 2011

Relax!

I could not wait to get back to the yard today after such a successful lesson last week. With it being the school holidays, I expected to be on a group hack but was taken out by my usual instructor by myself today.

I tacked up my tall, white friend and led him to the mounting block. Getting up into the saddle, we decided the road would probably give us more opportunities to have a varied ride as the farm would be pretty waterlogged. So off we went.

My position is seemingly getting better with each ride and my trots are becoming more forward. I was told today to put more weight in my heels during rising trot and this again improved on my position.

And how did cantering go? Pretty good actually. With having my usual instructor, it meant I would be cantering by myself, without having a leader so the first attempt was not as good as Thursdays. However, I got him into a canter, then shocked myself so pulled back. The second attempt was just a forward trot but the third was pretty awesome. I was in my seat, went with him loads and just need to relax my upper half more so I can give him his rein. He's light in the mouth so my tensing of the upper body is not good for either of us. This also makes my elbows come up and my heels not take my weight. Which was the case in my last attempt at canter today. My instructor walked down the lane, leaving me and my tall, white, friend at the far end. The idea was to canter toward her so I guess she could see what was going on with me from the front. I got two strides mid lane route in canter but my tense upper body and not enough leg contributed to a lack of good canter. I know, I need to relax more and when I do, like with my good canters on this ride, I seem to do it pretty good.

We also did trot halt transitions today which were on the hole good although I lost a bit of the forwardness in trot by the last transition.

On the whole, it was a good lesson as I was back in complete charge of the reins today with my usual instructor. I was pleased that I got some good cantering with him as I know what's happening is purely between the two of us and not a third person leading us. So everything that happened was because of the relationship we have.

My position is improving every lesson and even after the pointer with the rising trot to bring my legs back and put more weight into my heels was taken on board and was changing quickly to what it needed to be by the end of my lesson. So all in all, a fantastic ride!

We got back to the yard, I untacked and put the rugs on with my instructor and led him out to the field. I love being at the yard, just wish I could help out much more with yard jobs.

That's all to report until my next lesson on Saturday.

Hope you all have a good week,

Thanks for reading,

Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment