Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Friday 18 November 2011

Amazing!

Well, that's the only title I can think of to sum up my ride yesterday.

It was a beautiful autumn morning when I arrived and partially removed my tall white friend's rug as he's been clipped. Brushed him down, covered him up and removed the back end to brush the rest of him. Tacked him up and led him out, mounted and was in a very positive mood.

We took the road route yesterday and my trots were back on form. Had to wake him up a little and the first canter on one of our bits of grass we canter on failed miserably. The second attempt, my instructor let go, scared me as she clapped to spur him on and so I failed again. The third attempt, she told me to go for it on my own, and instantly, I got him into a good forward canter for about four strides. I was over the moon that I managed to do this by myself on the first attempt.

More good, forward trotting and to another piece of grass but no more canters but I wasn't giving him as much I don't think and my instructor told me she wants more leg. But something inside of me really clicked yesterday and I know, for some odd reason, when someone's leading me in canter, I'm not getting it on the ball. It's probably psychological and I've proven twice now I can get him into a canter independently. Once when I was meant to be trotting to build his energy and yesterday when I was just ready for it.

Our trot transitions were pretty good yesterday. I feel like I can stop him so well now and I am more aware of his mouth response. It was the best feeling yesterday for me and I just hope I can keep it up. Lets hope more cantering and prolonged cantering at that is on the cards. I stayed in my seat more than I have before too. I guess I was so shocked I managed to do it on my first attempt, I froze up a little but we got there and now it's just a matter of keep on getting there consistently and in a good strong canter.

We got back to the yard after my good mood was much improved, and I untacked him, removed his exercise sheets and placed his rugs on him. I had issues fastening the clasps on the rugs on Tuesday but yesterday I finally got that too. So it was a fab lesson. And my cheeky, tall, white friend deserved the few polos he got. He knows which pocket they're in to. :)

That's all for today but got another lesson on sunday so I'm afraid you'll all be bombarded with more regales of my horsey tales. :) Thanks for reading,

Marie

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you're back on track. Fingers will be firmly crossed for you on Sunday. Happy cantering :)

    ReplyDelete