Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Back on Horse back

It's been a very long week for me. I've missed those majestic beast so dearly. So this morning, I was excited to be back at the yard.

I quickly brushed my tall white friend and did up his bridle, led him out and adjusted my stirrups to what I usually have them on. Only to get on and learn they are new stirrups and so the lengths were not right.

We took the farm hack route today and on my first trot I realised my stirrups were too long so after an adjustment, off we went again. He was testing me a bit, going too left or over to the right so my challenge was to keep him central and keep him listening to me.

I always keep up to date with a very useful blog called, School your Horse but this week's Post really rang home with me. I've always tried sitting up in the saddle but the way this blog author puts it across, it made so much sense to me. Having a background in dance, the idea of pulling up to push forward as it is said in the blog, just clicked in my head. Today, I was thoroughly working on this concept and by God it paid off.

My trots were forward and I seemed to push from the saddle with my thighs much more so it was easier to rise and then for the canter. The first time, I almost got a stride but the bog of a field made it more difficult. Even my instructor said she wasn't surprised I didn't get a canter. So she suggested I try him in a forward trot, which I do without her leading me. I'm happy trotting. It comes naturally now but I pushed on for a forward trot and gave him enough to send us into a canter. One in which I felt thoroughly comfortable and relaxed into. It was a good steady canter and I surprised myself.

We left the field and I was using my half halts on the cobbles. He was rushing himself so a few half halts and keeping my heels from his side which I seemingly was doing slowed him down.

A few more good trots and then to the back lane where he did a forward trot instead of a canter but on the second attempt, he did another beautiful canter.

My position was much better today, my instructor felt and I know it's because I'm thinking more about how I'm sitting in the saddle. I felt I made slightly more progress during my lesson today. I hope I keep it up. But I've never felt so confident and relaxed in cantering until this morning. So thanks to this blog entry and the fantastic lady who writes her words of wisdom for us and to my instructor who has the patience of a saint. and continues giving great instruction

Once I jumped off and led him into his stable, untacked him and put his tack back, I returned to give him a polo. He kept mobbing me for more and tried to eat me on a few occasions so he got spoilt today and had a few more polos than just the one.

That's all until next time,

Thanks for reading,

Marie

1 comment:

  1. It's so good to have you back on board - very strange last week!

    I'm so pleased something in the blog clicked for you. I've been pratising what I preach a bit this week and I can hardly recognise one of the horse's canter! Just goes to show we all need a bit of nagging once in a while.

    Good luck on Thursday, hope the weather holds. :)

    ReplyDelete