Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Sunday 11 March 2012

Spring Sunshine and Scary Water Monsters

I did ride yesterday but really didn't have much to say. Briefly, I rode Shadow. He listened good and my trots were nice and had a fabulous canter on him. That's about it. Today I woke up to gorgeous spring sunshine and decent temperatures. Even to the point I was debating no winter coat. Mum, being a typical mum encouraged I wore a coat and off I went to the yard. I chose to ride Topaz today and on our small-ish group ride, he was ultimately perfect. We were in lead on this ride and I had a walker. My trots were consistent and collected on him. We went onto the field to canter and I didn't think we'd get one because of the bogginess but I was wrong. Nice canter until he spotted the water monster. Then to a fast trot but I was happy with the canter anyway. Down the cobbles, he spotted the other scary monster, a black bin bag. Wonder what was lurking in there today? Topaz clearly thought it was something big and scary! But I kept him walking all the same. Why are the biggest horses the biggest babies? A further trot and onto the back lane where we got a few strides and, low and behold, that water monster appeared again. He even swerved the puddle and went into trot. I was so impressed by the weather, that once I'd untacked him and had cuddles while feeding him polos, I decided to ride him again. The coat came off it was so warm so me, clad in jodhpurs and a pink hoodie mounted Topaz again and followed another horse with one of our helpers on the road route. More lovely trots from my gorgeous friend. The young lady walking with me said she was amazed how quickly he responds to me and how great my position is. My usual instructor was back at the yard for both of these rides as she was in charge while our school owner wasn't there today. We're still awaiting the birth of a foal so most of the older girls who help out and our school owner have been on foal watch all week. We headed for the bottom wood and off the first horse went into canter and then off we went. It was the best canter of today. There were no signs of those scary water monsters in the wood today. The girl with me commented how she was chasing rather than running with us today. :) I was sitting there, as the sunshine beamed down on us feeling mighty proud of us both. We'd had two pretty awesome rides today. And the back lane saw an improvement on the canter but still he ran into trot when he spotted that evil, water monster. I was proud of him today. He was a really good boy and listened well to me. I hope this weather lasts and that next weekend brings more of the same. :) Thanks for reading, Marie

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing like a bit of good weather to make everything go well. Glad you've had a good weekend of riding. Lorraine

    ReplyDelete