Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Saturday 24 March 2012

Beautiful Sunshine and Wonderful Ride

We've been enjoying very beautiful spring weather here in Britain for most of the week. Needless to say, every day my mum's had to suffer me complaining its beautiful weather for riding. Today, my dad gave me a ride to the yard and it was already 63 degreesF at 10:30 in the morning and the sunshine was bright and lovely. Who could have a horrible ride after that? I chose to ride Shadow first today. Was nice to get on a pony that was so mudless instead of having a pony that no amount of brushing could rid him of mud. He looked his gorgeous, handsome self today in the pretty sunshine. We were in a varied group today and I was following another pony and had to utilise my half halts a bit as the other pony was being a little slow. My instructor was trying to get me on my diagonals today but I seemed to get all the opposites for what she asked but was able to correct myself easily enough. We did the farm hack and were all delighted to discover the field had some decent cantering ground today. It won't be long until they're using this field for hay cutting so we're making the most of it while its not a mud heap and we can still use it. My first canter was OK but had him shorter on my left rein so we didn't go all the way. Walking on the field a little more, was asked to do another and got a fabulous one. My instructor said to give him another squeeze to keep him going and with upmost confidence I did push on and we did keep going in a beautiful, forward canter. More great trots and opposite diagonals and down the cobbles. I felt so alive today! The sun beating down, a nice, light breeze and birds twittering in the trees and me and one of my favourite ponies riding along. On the back lane, got an even better canter than my first and probably as good as my second. It amazes me how consistent my canters are getting. I know, three months ago I was complaining about my lack of consistency, and now I'm extremely happy about being able to canter good and strong. Huge pats for the handsome, white friend and then I rode Bella. I didn't have a walker on either ride again today but my instructor and other walkers were on the ground. We did the road route on this ride which was incredibly busy. I did feel a little nervous at one point but I know my instructor is always watching. I tried her with a canter again today and got only one stride but believe me, that is more than what I had got a few months ago with her. I was slightly off balanced or else I think it might have been a little better but the fact she listened and we got into one was a huge achievement again and only the fourth time since my cantering confidence has built with a mare that is notoriously difficult in canter. My trots on her were beautiful today and she was listening all the time. I had some lovely chats with her as the other riders and leaders were chatting to each other. We did have a very unnerving incident today when a bus pulled up along side our group and my instructor was telling him to stop so she could get all the horses by so what did he do? Speed up and come very close to us. Bella was a good girl though and didn't react. I was so proud of her and I think first bus will be getting a complaint. This is not the first time this has happened to people from our riding school. Some bus drivers need to learn some manners. We didn't have time to go on the back lane for another canter but I was so pleased with my lovely bay beauty that I was just happy to be out in the sunshine with her. We had some fabulously forward trots considering she started off in a very ploddy mood. That made me happier than a few strides in a canter could have today and there is always tomorrow. When I was chatting with our school owner who has said I'm almost there now for riding in the school alone, she said I'm getting the "Bella Knack". Now what does that tell you? :) :) It's meant to be as beautiful tomorrow weather wise, I hope the ride is just as lovely. :) Thanks for reading, Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment