Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Thursday 20 October 2011

You Learn Even On a Bad day

It was absolutely freezing this morning but I was thankful for no rain.

I was left to brush my tall white friend who was absolutely caked in mud. I love brushing the horses, not only because it helps them feel better but because it is some lovely time for us both.

I dropped one of the brushes on the floor and tried to find it with my feet but couldn't. So I had to shout for my instructor. I wasn't bending down to go looking for a brush with a huge horse at the side of me. I guess I'd adjust my own brushing to make sure I didn't drop the brushes in my own stables.

I tacked him up, with an ease with putting the bridle on. I'm getting such a grip on putting the bridle on him which makes me feel good. I know brushing his face is becoming a new art for me to master as I've been a little uncertain on the sensitive areas around the horse's face. Although during brushing today, I found a few more regions that I didn't go looking for, we'll leave it at that. ;)

I led him out to the yard and adjusted my stirrups and tightened his girth. I mounted, then realised I needed my gloves so another new thing, putting gloves on while holding reins in one hand. Was weird but was a must if I wanted warm hands.

We took the farm hack today and I struggled getting him forward into a good, steady trot. We attempted the canter twice and although my position was reasonably well adjusted, my hands were low, I just didn't get the energy from my legs into him to propel him forward.

We then proceeded to work on transitions. I had to do a long, forward trot first which was strong and then left a little to be desired on the energy front by the end. My stops and starts in the transitions were strong and I feel in good control when we do these.

Once back at the stable yard, I untacked and learnt to put a cooler on. I also learnt why we put coolers on after exercise. So I still learnt quite a bit besides my disappointment in myself on cantering. I do wonder if I'll ever just get it to click once and for all?

So until next time,

Thanks for reading,

Marie

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up over it :) Sometimes the horse isn't having the best day either!

    This time next year you're going to look back and laugh about this.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're right. It's the perfectionist in me to. I'm the same with being a guide dog handler, constantly asking myself what I'm doing wrong? But I know they have off days too, just have to remember that. Your post on problem solving this week has given me a lot to think about to. :)

    ReplyDelete