Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Put Your Leg on

In good news today, my movement is becoming more fluid and natural. My hands are getting used to what I need them to do and I'm gradually learning with ease to move the horse where I need it to be. The bad news, putting my leg on to get the horse to canter as this particular one needs a lot of leg and to be heavy in the saddle to get it to transition from a trot to a canter has so far failed very miserably. This is the good part of switching horses though as I said in my previous post that horses are as different as you and I and it's one area now I need to work on. Putting your leg on a horse, depending on what you are doing with your body gives a horse a clear message. We squeeze them to walk on and squeeze again to transition to a trot and again for a canter. However, some horses need a little more to push them from one transition to the next and my "keeping leg on" motion is not yet strong enough. So next lesson, switching up horses again to someone I haven't rode in a long while who I know from previous experience is hard to get going. So time to work those inner thigh muscles. Overall, I was pleased with my class today as I managed to keep the horse trotting even when she was slowing down, I put my leg back on her and kept her going. Plus, moving her to the left of the road and keeping her straight was much improved on last lesson so I made a few steps progress. Now onto the hard work. But I know with time, I'm gradually getting better so I'm not dismayed and am eager to learn more; which I know I will thanks to the amazing horses and great instructor

No comments:

Post a Comment