Welcome!

I didn't start learning to ride until May 2010 and for the entire summer of that year was injured. My first year of riding was not that solid but since April last year, I've not missed a ride. I can walk, sit and rise trot, canter, and have started learning transitions and diagonals on a variety of horses. Come and join me on my adventures with my horsey friends all done with no sight on my part. don't feel afraid to ask me any questions. being blind and a horse rider is new, interesting and very exciting. So I hope you can gain something from reading this.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

Up, down, Up Down

If anyone has learnt to rise trot, bet most of you have heard those words, over and over again.

The rising trot is notoriously hard to master but once its done, you'll wonder what all the frustration was about.

The first time I raised myself out of those stirrups and gripped onto the saddle for dear life, it did cross my mind, what on earth I was doing on the back of such a tall creature, effectively standing up and sitting down at a rhythm.

My Achilles Heel?


At the time, I'd say this was the bane of my existence. I never in a million years thought I'd get the gist of rising trot.

What is it?


As I said last week, the trot is a two gait pace and this doesn't change in rising trot. Only what the rider does adjusts during this way of riding.
The rider has to rise and fall in the saddle, keeping their balance as sitting on the horses' back is too uncomfortable for both horse and rider. So if we rise in a trot, the rider and horse get a much enjoyable ride.

You initially learn to rise, with the reins in one hand and with your hand on the saddle. And once that is mastered, time to let go of the saddle and hold the reins in both hands so you have control over the horse.

Due to an injured foot last summer and a harsh winter followed by a nasty virus, I missed out on a lot of riding last year and earlier this so my rising trot seems to have taken me years to master. I'm not sure how long it has taken but it is one thing I'm glad to achieved.

With the rising trot, you almost feel like you'll never get there and your instructor continually encourages, "Up, down, up, down".

Rising up and down in the saddle with nothing effectively to cling to is rather daunting for someone with no vision, at least that was my experience. But once your over the fear, the riding comes naturally, at least for me.

another one's coming soon. The entries will be slightly different after the next one as I've almost caught you all up to where my learning continues. Two more blogs methinks and we'll be on a regular weekly round up on that day's events.

Thanks as always for reading.
Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment